onsdag den 23. marts 2011

you don't know what you've got 'til its gone.

To this title. 
Of course it applies to the tempurapedic mattress that awaits me in brookfield, illinois, while I sleep on a futon in the meanwhile. Of course it applies to a cup of coffee that costs less than five dollars. Of course it applies to the phone that somehow disappeared this weekend after a visit to the circus with my host family. Of course it applies to the amazing, loving, supportive family and friends that I love dearly and am so incredibly lucky to have in my life.

But at this moment, it applies first and foremost to this.
a beautiful thing.

I'd never realized how utterly wonderful this magical substance was, until I was in no position to eat it anymore.  Hearing about other people's studying abroad experiences I remember thinking something like, 'yeah.. I don't even really care about that stuff. Four months without it? Whatever, I doubt I'll even notice.'

But after my host dad brought home a small jar of organic "peanut butter" from the store a few weeks ago, I eyed it suspiciously but then took one bite of it. 

This is what it tasted like.


+


+


+


Basically, I've decided that peanut butter might just be alright.  I just ate a half of a peanut butter sandwich and after a long day of various pittering around here and there, this beautiful half sandwich erased my tiredness and replaced it with sparkles. But it leaves some lingering questions. Why have the Danes not adapted? Peanut butter, reeses? Its unfathomable to me, but no one seems to be a fan. 

After talking with my host parents about it the other day, their reasons seem to be unfortunately valid. My host mom said that the taste was alright, but it was just too sticky. I told her that's why you need a cold glass of milk to wash it down with! In the same instant, they both stuck out their tongues and looked just the teensiest bit grossed out. 


I'm sorry this blog entry came with no real continuation of what I promised. 
I'm sorry there was no grand life realization included.
But I hope, the next time you eat this delicious meal, smile. And realize just how lucky you are.




1 kommentar: