torsdag den 21. april 2011

Get ready to get jealous.

Right now, I'm sitting in the back porch of the apartment I've been staying at, with my feet up and my legs soaking up some rays of this beautiful Mediterranean sun.  The tall windows are flung open and the breeze smells crisp and fresh. I've been in Barcelona since Saturday, and this place is seriously unreal.


Yesterday I got to see my friend Alexis, a French student who went to Knox for my freshman year, and it was so wonderful to see him. Being abroad has definitely taught me the absolute joy a familiar face can give you. He is studying in Barcelona right now, and has a suuuper nice place with, his words, "a big ass terrace. no big deal." I got to meet his friend and girlfriend from France, and for the afternoon we sat out on his big ass terrace with a gorgeous view of the city and drank mint mojitos. As I look at that last sentence, it looks too good to be true. As this week has gone on, I've felt on multiple occasions that I need to be pinched because I must be dreaming.


When I first got here on Saturday evening, I walked out of the airport and the sun was setting over the mountains. I took the aerobus to Plaza Catalyuna and walked around a little bit, waiting for a text from my girl Laura Blue, who I would be staying with for the next few days. She is also a Knox student, and has been studying abroad in Barcelona for the winter, and was in Argentina in the fall. I got a text that said, "I'm in the middle of the plaza. Come find me!" I saw her standing in the center of the plaza and we had the classic "run to each other" moment and hugged. And I think its safe to say that is the moment my life became a movie.


Since I'm still here in Barcelona I don't want to spend too much time on the computer,  but I'll leave you with a few highlights of the past two weeks. Two weeks because I just got here on Saturday, and then before that, I was visiting my friend Lara in Amsterdam! She was also a student at Knox for a year, but is from Holland and now goes to school in Amsterdam. It was really nice to see her smiling face as well. I got to see her family as well, they're all such sweet people. They treated me to dinner and wine at a classy restaurant on the beach. "no big deal." We got to stay at her house for a night in a Aerdenhout, a town about a thirty minute train ride outside of Amsterdam, and then took her two adorable dogs for a walk at the dunes the next day. And now for one last highlight. On Sunday, my first full day in Barcelona, Laura Blue and I went walking all over town. Every corner you turn down here is absolutely beautiful. And then after being treated to a delicious homemade lunch (cooked by her boyfriend Roger, a native Spaniard) we went out to get coffee. As we passed a street with a direct view of a nearby mountain, I asked what it was called. "Oh that's just Park Guell. We can climb up there after coffee if you want." - Laura Blue casually responded.


Hopefully I'll be posting some pictures soon to show you all the beautiful sights of Amsterdam and Barcelona, but for now, adios!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar