torsdag den 17. februar 2011

This is a Thursday.

Time has been flying. I can't believe its already the 17th of February! A quarter of my time here has officially been chomped. As usual, my mind and body are exhausted from the day's events. But my love for you all will carry me through this blog entry and hopefully you'll enjoy it.

This morning I woke up around seven o'clock. The dreams I have here are absolutely crazy. I still wake up confused about where I am sometimes because so much of what happens in dreamland happens in Brookfield, Galesburg, or Wisconsin for that matter. And then I open my eyes and realize.. oh yeah, Denmark. I get dressed to the cries of delight from Lennart and Anne Marie getting ready in the kitchen, and saunter downstairs to brush my teeth. By seven twenty, everyone is gone and I've got the house to myself to enjoy a nice bowl of muesli. Museli is a blend of different oats, dried fruits, and other fiberous bits and pieces that you eat cold with milk. If you're feeling a little crazy, you can add some corn flakes on top for crunch. After eating, I make my sandwich for the day. Some cheese, cucumber, tomato, and special danish mustard, all crammed between two slices of their famous rye bread. Every morning I almost get tempted to eat a bite of it.. sometimes I do. Then at about seven forty five, I depart to the Hedehusene train station (this is the town I live in. its pronounced hill-who-sen-ah, obviously).

Most days that I take the train, I either head in for class or for my job at the library. Shout out to ed studies suite 301 in Galesburg, the copy machine here is sooo much more boring. It never wants to fight with me! And though the main people I work for are nice, they don't take me to zumba or out to lunch. Rough life, right?

But today is Thursday, and instead of heading into Copenhagen to DIS for class, I get to go to my Child Development Practicum. So after a nice little stroll from the Copenhagen station through the red light district, and passing my fill of sex swings and colored wigs splashed all throughout the windows, I arrive at Saxogarden school, safely tucked into a little niche. I could write pages and pages about this school. The community they have developed among the children is incredible. When you walk upstairs and into the main room, the lights are somewhat dim and a few candles are lit as children are dropped off by their parents. The kids peacefully color, play with legos, or venture to one of the other rooms in the school. This morning I got to play with a bunch of different kids that I don't usually see, because it is a winter holiday and not many of the kindergardeners were there. I keep writing too much about this and then erasing, because I don't want to be long winded. Basically, I got to be a little kid again today. I learned my colors by playing a game with some of the kids, rough housed and got sincerely beat up by others. Little kids here can hold their own like its nobody's business.. during a simple game of ahh I'm gonna get you kids, I got tackled into pillows and as I tickled them, they returned with booty smacks and little fists to the ribs. Things are different here, its much more acceptable to be physical with the kids. Its just how they play. After I was initiated/ accepted by the boys as one of their own, they wanted to play hide and seek with me, which I did all too gladly. Sort of my favorite game ever.

And as usual, the day flew. Soon it was snack time, which features fresh cut up fruit (cut by yours truly), fresh-baked piping hot bread and butter, and today something that I didn't catch the name of-- it was some kind of a yogurt drink and you put in pieces of dried bread like croutons but without the seasoning. SO. GOOD. I know it sounds odd, but it was super delicious.

Ok, fast forward past the fluffly stuff, I know I know. But most important fluff of all, Margaret treated me to a DELICIOUS pastry at St. Peter's shop. I will pay her back soon with love and kisses, and maybe the 11 kroner, too. After this, it was movie time for contemporary european film, which usually leaves me questioning my life and the point of everything once the screening is over at six o'clock. I'm realizing how much the American cinema revolves around sentimental, cutesy plot lines over ones that might make you uncomfortable but definitely leave some important thoughts to resonate. When I got home, I had unfortunately missed dinner because the movie was too long to make it in time, but usually there is something delicious (and meat filled..) waiting to be devoured. Tonight I talked with Anne Marie and Jan about Lennart's upcoming birthday party and the handball match we'll be going to on Saturday! The Koefoed house is all aflutter with excitement.

And now my eyes are droopy and there is a little homework left that I need to do before the morning. I hope you enjoyed my Thursday. Farvel, mine venner!

But wait! These aren't all from today, but since you persevered through this long entry, I should give you some pictures to help set the scene.



the view from my room in the morning. "de moon" is up!

the Hedehusene station.



and this is my favorite sight of all.
After a long day trekking around town, there is nothing like seeing 57 Stenmollen straight ahead, all lit up and cozy, just waiting for you to come home.


1 kommentar:

  1. I'm so happy you're getting your daily fiber intake!! With out you here, mine is definitely lacking... sounds like a great place to be. love you lots.

    p.s. sorry, i let a canadian read this....

    SvarSlet